John T. Eubank, an early Salado merchant, erected this two-story stone building circa 1873 to use as his store. It was built on Lot 5 of Block One across from the Stagecoach Inn. The building originally had an outside stairway connected with a landing that ran across the front of the structure. There was no stairway inside the building. It is possible that the Eubank family used the second story as a residence since no other record of a residence is known.
Its location on Main Street near the college, the stagecoach stop, and the Chisholm Trail proved to be an excellent location for his store. The John T. Eubank store sold dry goods, groceries, drugs and medicines, hardware, tin ware, notions, ready-made clothing, and miscellaneous items related to the needs of a farming and ranching community.
In the late 1800s, the National Cooperative Grange Association expanded to the south. The purpose of the Grange movement was to represent the interest of farmers in legislation affecting the business of farming. The Grange operated cooperative stores where its members could purchase general merchandise and farm supplies, for cash only, at reasonable prices above cost.
Less known is the fact that the Grange buildings were the cultural centers in communities. The Grange movement promoted social interaction in which men and women and families could participate. In these buildings members met to sponsor essays, create libraries, present speakers, and offer educational programs.
Salado Grange, No. 1, opened in 1873, and was the first Grange organized in Texas. Among its charter members was A.J. Rose, a prominent citizen of Salado and Bell County, serving as president. Their first meetings were held in the chapel of Salado College.
The first incorporated Grange store in Texas was also started in Salado. Before long, other stores were opened and spread all over Texas.
In 1876 the Salado Cooperative Council, Patrons of Husbandry, purchased this building from Eubank for a meeting place for the Salado Grange. The members used the bottom floor for their Cooperative Store and the room above as their meeting place.
Grange stores flourished for a time, but when droughts and other calamities came upon the farmers many of them began to struggle financially. Farmers were forced back to using credit offered by the regular merchants so the cash only system was no longer viable.
Even after statewide Grange organizations began to dwindle, the Salado Grange remained strong and was able to serve its members until the late 1880s.
When the Salado Grange fell into financial difficulties, the property in Salado was sold to pay the indebtedness. The property in Salado was put on public sale on March 20, 1888. A.J. Rose and J.S. Rogers, of Salado, who was the manager of the Texas Cooperative Association which had set up its office in Galveston County, purchased the property for the cash sum of $925.
At the time of his death on December 13, 1903, A.J. Rose was the sole owner of the property. He died intestate and left eight children surviving him, including W.S. Rose who acted as administrator.
Ownership of the property was settled by the Rose heirs and little is known of the use of the building until later years when it housed the Salado telephone service of early 1940s into the late 1950s.
The local telephone service continued from the building until it was leased to the Central Texas Area Museum after its founding in 1959. The museum later purchased the building. The property has changed ownership seventeen times, including the purchase by the Central Texas Area Museum in 1964.
The Salado Museum, formerly the CTAM, now occupies the original Grange building. The building has had several additions through the years including the construction of restrooms, office space, an exhibit center, and an auditorium-library, which was constructed as an add-on to the Grange building.
By Charlene Ochsner Carson
Page last updated: July 1, 2026